Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A relaxing day :)

Today we walked to campus for a tour and pre-registration.  Then the flat-mates (five of us) walked to the complex with the grocery store, Pick n’ Pay.  I am really enjoying all of the fresh fruits and vegetables and I even bought some ground ostrich to try as burgers or pasta sauce.  Taylor got some brussel sprouts too, which is great since my favorite magazine Eating Well  featured them in one of the fall editions.  

After Pick n’ Pay, Taylor and I found a great family-owned store (something like Divine Creations…?) with quiches, frozen 2-serving spinach and feta lasagna, bobotie (traditional South African dish with meat and raisins), pumpkin fritters, egg bakes, meat pies with chicken, venison (which is kudu antelope), and steak, sandwiches, and plenty of other delicious fresh and frozen delicious-looking foods.  I also bought some ginger beer that tastes similar to ginger ale, but it is gingerier than and not as sweet as ginger ale.

We took a kombi home from the grocery because we are awfully tired from our adventures outside yesterday, and we cleaned the flat for a few hours and just relaxed.  I made a great meal which I photographed  (I will post pictures when this internet voucher runs out, because I bought 1GB which is based on information and pictures take a lot of information to upload, so I will post them when I buy a timed voucher) :D'

Now, we are making some cookies for the Steve, the owner of Langerry Flats.  He helped my flat-mates get some money back from a bank where they exchanged and were ripped off.  He drove them down there with his huge body and truck, gave the bank teller the business in Afrikaans, and the ladies were redeemed their $120 (about R 84).  Yay Steve!  The staff here is extremely friendly and helpful. 

Today, I also surfed GumTree, an internet site like EBay for South Africa, looking for bicycles.  I found a few promising ads.  I hope I can just sell the bike again when we leave, but I’m not sure if I’ll end up getting one, it just depends on what we can find.  I enjoyed some yoga on the balcony tonight and for now, my goal is to get some homework done and rest for a full day of tours tomorrow.  (For all of those curious about “studying abroad,” I assure you that I am taking seventeen credits, and classes start next Monday ;) )

Love and hugs

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the moment. Education is more than just book learnin' You can get book learnin' anywhere;but South Africa can only be experienced in South Africa. You don't have to prove yourself with the books, as I know how great a student you are-even better person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds more like Eat, Pray, LOVE so far...lol Have fun!

    DawnW

    ReplyDelete