Saturday, April 23, 2011

Garden Route 1: Otter Trail


Friday morning we traveled a few hours to Tsitsikamma National Park along the Garden Route en route to our final destination, Cape Town.  My favorite part of the day was the Otter Trail hike.  Rgith next to the crashing sea the waves were the biggest I had ever seen.  We crawled over boulders, jagged beautifully gray-colored-rocks with white and bright red-orange lichens, bridges, vines and roots to reach a small fresh water water fall with a small pool with large rocks separating the sea edge from the fresh water pool.  The water was some of the coldest I had encountered, so, naturally, we jumped in and swam across the pool to the waterfall.  I couldn’t tell if the water was colder than Lake Sag (@ SJU) in March, but if not, it was a close second.  On the way back I took my time a bit more, rubbing some of the plants between my fingers to appreciate their aromas.  We finished the hike just before nightfall and I was in awe of the beautiful color palate that nature provides.  We ate at a lodge next to our backpacker, enjoying the traditional South African bobotie and milktart for dessert.  I went to bed full and VERY tired from the night before.
Taylor and I went together to make some yummmmy trail mix which is a staple in any good road trip and hiking scenario.

The view from Otter Trail

A huge wave breaking against the rocks.

The ocean-side trail at Tsitsikamma National Park.  It would be a fabulous place to camp!







3 comments: