Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Spa Day, I've never said that in America before!


This morning we got up early and picked up our car from the rental.  We drove to Casa Mia Health Spa, situated deep in the bush next to Addo National Elephant Park.  The surroundings were beautiful and the Mexican-inspired spa gave us a four-hour Anti-Stress Package.  In celebration of Heather’s 21st birthday (April 2nd), we enjoyed a 30 minute Indian head massage, 60 minute full body massage, 45 minute pedicure, a sudsy bath, sauna, and a light lunch.  I loved the whole day, but one of the most interesting parts was the lavender-scented paraffin wax dip.  I dipped each foot in hot wax four times, pausing each time to let the wax dry in order for the next layer to adhere.  Then my feet were each put in plastic bags and left to do its work.  Then the bags and wax were removed all at once and my feet were left smooth and moisturized!  The pictures should give a good idea of the relaxing vibe of the spa.  I just love all the little details with tons of candles burning, beautiful vases, and the obvious enjoyment of the staff.

Tonight we went out for Heather’s birthday to Barney’s.  I danced for a while to the live band, and then I headed home with two of my other roommates.  I have volleyball Saturday, so I wanted to rest up.

It was a gloomy day outside, perfect for relaxing.  We were even treated with the sounds of a rain shower after lunch while we read, waiting for the last ladies to get their pedicures.

I was amused by the typical terrycloth disposable slippers.

Look at these details!  Real flower petals from the gardens outside lining the passageway.

Candles everywhere in these beautiful big bowls.

A massage table and room.  Such good memories!

I pretty sweet mask out in the courtyard.

The pool, with a jacuzzi right behind it.  We were free to dip between treatments.  I didn't have very long between any of mine and then the rain hit. So, I didn't use the jacuzzi, but it is a fabulous "waiting room" if you ask me.

The picture of relaxation.

A hibiscus from my flower-draped hydrobath.

We Americans drink quite a bit, so I've heard.  That was demonstrated by the frequency with which our lemon-laden water pitcher was refilled by the kind and accommodating staff.

This was a mosaic vanity with real buds in the tea cups.  There were many beautifully mosaic-ed tables around.


Our five prettily-pedicured feet.

Chicken papaya salad, our tasty "light lunch."

Nice pose Taylor.
Katie, me, Heather, Taylor reclining in the waiting area.  I was so grateful to read South African magazines.  It was a delicious treat!

Laura, me, Heather, Katie, and Taylor ready to go out for Heather's first night of birthday celebration.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite an experience. The salad looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you with your artsy mirror picture! I love it. You definitely deserved that pampering and relaxation. I am sure that like mine, your mind is constantly processing new things, and pretty much every day is changing your life. It's nice to slow down for a bit!

    ReplyDelete