Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Routine is enough to tire me out today


House was a mixed bag today.  We played with the kids right away and learned a rhyme-singing game, well.. for the most part.  Some of the words were really garbled, because it was in English, and sometimes the kids just say the sounds without knowing what they mean.  So, the song was something about little girl, little girl wake up and there was a wash your dirty face part.  It was cute to see the kids standing in a circle singing and holding hands.  It was quite peaceful for a change.

The kids went to the playschool and we started to paint a room.  We were one brush short, so I went to the kitchen to chop a cabbage.  Then I went back to the room to switch with someone and paint the second coat.   I spent some more time in the play school too, and it seems that the group is making progress with the kids.  They kids now listen to us when we say, “No,” “Stop,” or give them a time out.  These are really big steps, because previously they would often laugh at us or ignore us.  We also took some time in the storage room today to see what resources we have to plan for all of the kids next week, because the older ones will be home from school for an end of term break.  I am excited to meet the older kids, but it will be utter chaos.

After service we had class which was let out early because it we finished and the room was so hot and humid none of us could stand it anymore.  I walked home, stopping at the fruit and vegetable stand and Super Spar to get some groceries.  I came home, made dinner, and prepared a presentation for lit tomorrow with the rest of the flat.  It was a pretty routine day, and I’m exhausted. 

I spent some time this evening looking at WWOOF (worldwide opportunities in organic farming) options in SA for the second half of spring break.  I sent a few emails in hopes that they will accept a volunteer for only a few days.  I can’t keep my eyes open any longer. 
Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Reading about those kids wears ME out. Thanks for all you do to make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete