Thursday, March 3, 2011

Foggy


It was a gray day today.  We woke up to a cloudy, drizzly morning and headed down to the beach for a marine bio sampling day.  We took four cylindrical samples of sand, called cores, at ten different sites.  We loaded four samples into a sand bag which, when full, weighed between 40 and 60 lbs.  I dragged it into the ocean and sifted out all of the fine sand to leave crushed shells and snails.  We were sampling for an honors student who wanted us to measure snails with a caliper for a study she’s doing.   It took us about three hours to take 4 cores at 10 different sites.  I was completely spent after dragging all of those heavy bags of sand around.  It was fun when a little wiener dog ran through our sampling though.  Even though the wieney was at least three times the size of Grac(e)y, it reminded me of her.  There was also some other dog walkers who brought dogs of every kind by.  

After the sampling, we walked back across the street to Langerry and I wrapped a towel around my body to minimalize the soaking of my mattress and collapsed into a deep sleep that did not reprieve until 1:30 pm when we elected to walk down the boardwalk in the incessant drizzle for some lunch at a small café.  I had a Mediterranean veggie Panini with Bos, the uniquely South African rooibos tea that I have learned to love.  After lunch I walked to school to return 6 library books about travel and recipes in South Africa.  Then I took a kombi home, made a light dinner, and we went out to Belizza tonight.  We danced the night away, and now I am home to get a good night’s sleep before we head to the farm tomorrow morning.  We will be there until Sunday, so don’t miss me too much, haha.

Love,
Linds

2 comments:

  1. When I worked at U of Minnesota I raised money for the Geology department. They had a section that took core samples from lakes all over the world and showed me how they analyzed them. They stored them in coolers all over the Twin Cities. Linds the geologist.

    ReplyDelete