Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March: In like a fire-breathing dragon out like???

I went to bed tired last night, but woke up not very rested.  We’ve decided to pursue a trip to an African-inspired spa on Friday, but we’ve hardly had time to get things in order with so many assignments hanging over our heads.   The weather was scorching and I have two papers and a movie to do before class tomorrow and prep for class today usurped my morning.  I know plenty out there could complain about their class schedules, but I am just sayin’, I feel overwhelmed right now.

(--> Culture for Bruce-->) We arrived at House this morning an hour-and-a-half late after getting around traffic from a bus and taxi accident.  Shadly exasperatedly asked a policeman directing traffic what the jam was all about, and the police man informed him of the trouble and said, “A bus fell onto a taxi, so at least you and your passengers are still breathing.”  True that.  I don't think this sentiment is unique to African culture, but I was happy to have that reminder.  Life is precious, and I don't plan on worrying it away because I was supposed to be somewhere five minutes or a half-hour ago.  Yoga has been more and more appealing to me lately, and it strives to keep the practice in the present, never losing minutes to the future or past.  What a great goal-- I'm faaaaar from reaching it, but at least I have a goal :) (End of Bruce's Culture)

At House I worked in the kitchen with Laura, my flatmate, chopping vegetables and helping with pancakes, what we’d call in the States crepes.  One of the ladies from the front office was making crepes with caramel inside and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar for the kids.  When we were done with the veggies she said we could help.  She cooked with a cast iron skillet over a propane grill.  I tried flipping one, but anyone who has seen me attempt eggs knows that I am a remedial flipper.  I have lots to learn.  Asandra let me spread the caramel and roll a few crepes, insisting to no avail that Laura and I split the very first on I rolled to try.  It was heavenly!  Laura was so happy that she bought mix at the grocery tonight for her own crepe attempts.

The afternoon was very busy.  We got back and I was out of food and money, so I hit up the ATM and went to Nando’s a South African-almost-Chipotle-type joint.  Their specialty is chicken.  I had a wrap with Mediterranean sauce (tomato-based, a little tangy and sweet) while I wrote a reflection paper.  In the end I was quite pleased with both the paper and the meal.  I grabbed a kombi to class, presented in class about the last section of A Long Walk to Freedom with the great feeling of satisfaction of being done with the book (except for the inevitable papers to follow), and walked to the Super-Spar (the adventure-land I described in an earlier post) to fill my cupboards.  I came home, made dinner and started straight away on my towering pile of homework.  We recently took an ice cream break in the thunderstorm, and I’m back attempting homework now.

2 comments:

  1. Nice lightning! I long for those summer storms. I love them as long as the lightning doesn't strike anyone or cause fires. Hang in there and do what you can do for the moment and don't judge the past with the moment. Moments are to live not to be a source of judging the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the book! I remember when you were just starting. :)

    ReplyDelete